Monday, May 2, 2011

Fiji, Birthday and School

I just got back from my little vacation and it was AMAZING! I've been in Fiji for the last week, so I'll start off there. We got to the main island, Nadi, and had to find out how to get to our resort. After a little bit of time wondering around we found out company and they pointed us in the right directions. We stayed in a hostel that was similar to the one I stayed at in Cairns. We only stayed there for one night and then left in the morning. When I say we I mean Mara, Dan, Nick and myself.

 Our first roommate was a girl from Norway who was also studying in Brisbane. She was pretty cool and we all walked to what we thought was going to be a beach, but turns out to be mud and garbage. Anyway we took pictures and walked back to eat dinner. The next morning we got up for breakfast and got our meal that we already paid for. We had to catch a bus to take us to the marina and hop on a boat to take us to our island we were staying at. We thought we were going to be late, because it was taking them forever to get us our food. It arrived in the last second and we had to scarf it down; I doubt any of us tasted it. The bus then got us to our destination and Mara and I checked our bags while Dan and Nick checked us in.

Finally we got on our boat; off to Beachcomber island! It took about 45 mins to arrive and it was gorgeous. We all stayed in the giant dormitory; Dan got the bottom bunk and I had the top. Our first roommate was a guy from Canada, named Josh. He was really chill and was staying for two nights. We all meshed quite well and ended up hanging out the whole time. Our group got a little bigger at the end of the night when we met a girl from Denmark and two more that were studying at the Gold Coast. One was from England and the other was another American. Oh, I almost forgot we also met two guys from England and two more women from England.

The next day we all decided to stick together since the Gold Coast crew was staying five nights and ironically had the same flight as us on the way back to Brisbane. We laid on the beach and met two ladies, one was from Sweden and the other from England. It was awesome how many people you could meet by just traveling. We all hung out for the whole day. The same day Dan and I went parasailing; it was quite the experience.

I don't remember if we kayaked that day or the next, but we did it somewhere in there. It's funny how when I think back on it all the days just kind of blended together. Josh eventually departed to different islands. We decided to do this pub crawl to different islands which wasn't really a pub crawl most of island hopping. That night we all went swimming in the ocean at about midnight.

The next day we got another roommate; a guy from Manchester, England who went by the name of Dom. The guy was really cool and we all started hanging out again. That night we played some card games a few drinking games. It was raining the whole day so not much to do.

The following day was the day before my Birthday and we planned to celebrate it that night, because once the clock hit midnight I was 21 and that fact that I was leaving in the morning. Dom and I kayaked in the rain and wind, which made for a pretty good workout. The night was so much fun I don't think it would of been possible to have a better 21st. The people I was with made it that much better. I also met three ladies from Norway, who were really friendly. I pretty much loved everyone I met, maybe it's because everyone is so happy on vacation.

The next morning it was finally nice, but it was our time to leave. We said out goodbyes to Dom and got on the boat to catch our ride to Nadi and get back to Brisbane. I planned on going out to the city with everyone from my floor, but I had some serious doubts after the prior night. I managed to dig up enough energy to have a guys night and go out with them. We went to a couple bars and it happened to be another amazing night. I had the best week of my life and celebrated my birthday in two different countries within 24 hours. Lets be honest, how many people can say they've done that?

Now that all that is out of the way I'm staying up until 2:30 a.m. waiting for a phone call from my manager. I'm going to try to start some homework and my paper that is coming up. My family should be in Australia now making their way to Brisbane throughout the week. I'm excited to see them on Friday and hopefully I have enough to keep them busy for their stay.

I'd like to give a little thanks to everyone who made my birthday unforgettable! I love you guys!

One last thing, I can't believe I have less than two months left. Where has all the time gone?

1 comment: